This online meeting is jointly organised by the Cooperation and Support Actions OntoCommons and EU-IoT.
The meeting theme concerns semantic interoperability and specifically, the role of ontologies in providing interoperability. Semantic interoperability is one of the key pillars of open and flexible IoT systems. Ontologies are a key component of semantic interoperability, as they provide the foundation and capability for machines to interpret, infer knowledge from different data sets. Ontologies are, however, often vendor or protocol-based, and therefore, building universal ontologies or addressing mechanisms that can support an adequate interconnection across different ontologies is time-consuming and error-prone.
To assist in overcoming the mentioned challenges, this online workshop shall be dedicated to the discussion on the current status of ontological interoperability, provided by different key stakeholders and also provide a panel discussion for recommendations that can facilitate a better deployment of ontological interoperability across different vertical domains.
The expected outcomes of this meeting are:
- An overview of key priorities and challenges being addressed by different SDOs, e.g., AIOTI, BDVA/DAIRO, IAOTA, NIST, etc.
- Feedback on recommendations that should be addressed in projects.
- Additional suggestions for the coordination of standardization efforts.
15:00 – 15:10
- Welcome, Rute Sofia (fortiss) and Hedi Karray (ENIT)
15:10 – 15:20
- EU-IoT overview, Lamprini Kolovou (Martel)
- OntoCommons overview, Hedi Karray (ENIT)
15:20 – 15:30
- Interaction session 1 on Ontological interoperability
15:30 – 16:35
- Session I: Perspectives on Ontological Interoperability, challenges and key priorities
- 15:30 - 15:45 StandICT/OntoCommons Technical Working Group, Ray Walshe (DCU) and Arkopaul Sarkar (ENIT)
- 15:45 - 15:55 EU-IoT, Standardisation and Open-Source activities, Rute Sofia (fortiss
- 15:55 - 16:05 AIOTI WG priorities, Laura Daniele (TNO)
- 16:05 - 16:15 SmartM2M, Mauro Dragoni (FBK)
- 16:15 - 16:25 OpenDEI focus on standardisation of interoperability, Antonio Kung (Trialog)
- 16:25 - 16:35 Questions and answers
16:35 – 16:45
- Interaction session 2: Challenges and key priorities – your perspective
16:45 – 18:00
- Panel discussion: Recommendations for ontological interoperability across vertical domains
- IAOA, Stefano Borgo (CNR)
- NIST, Boonserm Kulvatunyou (NIST)
- ETSI, Mauro Dragoni (FBK)
- AIOTI WG priorities, Laura Daniele (TNO)
- Questions and answers
18:00 – 18:10
- Summary and closure
Watch the recording
About the projects
OntoCommons is collaborating with existing European and international initiatives which focus on the standardisation of documentation based on ontologies. The project aims to establish synergies with all relevant bodies and initiatives to ensure that it represents the interests of their stakeholder groups and that it carries over their key recommendations, roadmaps and requirements as part of the OntoCommons activities.
EU-IoT is working together with different standards developments organisations and supporting different Research and Innovation Activities (RIAs) to derive research recommendations and a fine-grained mapping of knowledge areas to standardisations with focus on IoT and Edge computing across different vertical domains.